Why does my emphysema sometimes seem worse when I cook?

Believe it or not, certain food odors can actually irritate your respiratory system. If you have emphysema, you might find that cooking certain foods causes you to have trouble breathing. Try to be aware of the foods that seem to have this effect so you can avoid them in the future. Other items that release strong odors, such as candles, incense, or perfume, can all have the same effect.

Continue Learning about Emphysema

Emphysema

Emphysema is difficulty breathing due to air trapped in the lung, resulting in reduced lung capacity. Smoking is usually the cause, as it damages the linings of the air sacs in the lungs making them close. This leads to areas of t...

rapped air in your lungs. Other causes may include coal dust and other pollutants. Your lungs enlarge to compensate, but there are limits to this. Treatment may be medical and include oxygen support, medication and respiratory therapy. Of course stopping smoking is always recommended. Surgical treatment by cutting out damaged portions of the lungs and reducing lung volume is also effective.