Why does my emphysema sometimes seem worse when I cook?

Believe it or not, certain food odors can actually irritate your respiratory system. If you have emphysema, you might find that cooking certain foods causes you to have trouble breathing. Try to be aware of the foods that seem to have this effect so you can avoid them in the future. Other items that release strong odors, such as candles, incense, or perfume, can all have the same effect.

Continue Learning about Emphysema

What is emphysema?
Emphysema affects your ability to breathe and is a form of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or...
Can non-smokers get emphysema?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Non-smokers can get emphysema, although smoking is the most important risk factor for the developmen...
How common is emphysema?
More than 4 million people in the United States have been diagnosed with emphysema. Most of them are...
What is pulmonary interstitial emphysema (PIE) in babies?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Pulmonary interstitial emphysema (PIE) occurs when pressure from a ventilator causes air to leak fro...