What types of jobs increase my risk for emphysema?

Any job that exposes you to harsh airborne chemicals or particulate matter can increase your risk for developing emphysema. Two examples are miners and furnace workers. Both jobs require employees to inhale toxic fumes on a daily basis. Textile workers, plastics manufacturers, welders, construction workers, and utilities workers are also at higher risk for the same reason. Similarly, food preparation or manufacturing workers who are exposed to smoke and chemicals used in food preparation without proper ventilation also have a higher risk for developing emphysema.

Continue Learning about Emphysema

What is an emphysematous bleb?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
The lung contains many millions of tiny air sacs called alveoli. These air sacs have a thin, fragile...
How can I care for someone with emphysema?
Your responsibilities as a caregiver for someone with emphysema will depend on the severity of the c...
Is emphysema life threatening?
Jamie McGinnJamie McGinn
Emphysema is a type of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and can be life threatening due ...
What increases my risk for emphysema?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The number one risk factor in developing emphysema is smoking. You can greatly reduce your risk of d...