Should I see a doctor about my emphysema symptoms?

Emphysema is not only debilitating, it can be deadly. If you develop symptoms of the disease, see your doctor for a proper diagnosis. While the damage caused by emphysema cannot be reversed, you may be able to slow down its progression considerably. If you catch it early enough, you may be able to go on with your life relatively unaffected as long as you follow the necessary treatment. This often involves giving up smoking and living a healthier lifestyle.

Continue Learning about Emphysema

Emphysema

Emphysema is difficulty breathing due to air trapped in the lung, resulting in reduced lung capacity. Smoking is usually the cause, as it damages the linings of the air sacs in the lungs making them close. This leads to areas of t...

rapped air in your lungs. Other causes may include coal dust and other pollutants. Your lungs enlarge to compensate, but there are limits to this. Treatment may be medical and include oxygen support, medication and respiratory therapy. Of course stopping smoking is always recommended. Surgical treatment by cutting out damaged portions of the lungs and reducing lung volume is also effective.