Can my diet affect my emphysema?

Your diet won't directly affect your emphysema, but eating healthy could go a long way at improving the quality of your life. Emphysema can make it difficult to perform physical activities, but eating right can help improve your energy. It can also help you stay at a healthy weight, which means your body will need less oxygen. Depending on how severe your emphysema is, eating might be difficult. Try to find foods that are easier to eat, and instead of eating three big meals, eat smaller portions throughout the day. Since metabolism of fat creates less carbon dioxide than metabolism of carbohydrates, some people try a diet higher in fat and lower in carbohydrates to help with breathing problems.
Diet can influence emphysema because specific foods may directly affect your ability to breathe. Watch David Kamrava, MD, of West Hills Hospital & Medical Center, explain more.

Continue Learning about Emphysema

What increases my risk for emphysema?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The number one risk factor in developing emphysema is smoking. You can greatly reduce your risk of d...
How can I care for someone with emphysema?
Your responsibilities as a caregiver for someone with emphysema will depend on the severity of the c...
What is emphysema?
Emphysema affects your ability to breathe and is a form of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or...
How do other illnesses affect emphysema?
There are a number of illnesses that may affect your emphysema by making symptoms worse. The flu, pn...