What is emotional intelligence?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine

Why do some people with high IQs struggle in the workplace, while those with more modest IQs often do very well.  Many believe this is due to the "emotional intelligence" of a person.  Emotional intelligence (EI) individuals have higher levels of  self control, persistence and motivation.  These individuals have not only mastered the skills of self awareness but also the skill of maintaining effective relationships in the workplace and at home.  These skills can be taught to children early on, giving them a better chance to succeed in life rather than the genetic IQ with which they are born.

Emotional intelligence is the measurement of your social intelligence. Unlike the intelligence quotient (IQ), which measures your cognitive abilities, emotional intelligence measures your emotions and your abililty to relate to and understand others while also understanding yourself.
Emotional intelligence is a strong indicator of both personal and relationship success.
Since emotional intelligence skills can be learned, you can improve your emotional intelligence, improve your relationships, and improve your individual success.

Although the standard test of brain strength is an IQ test—which measures things like math, logic, and verbal skills—there's also such a thing as emotional intelligence. More and more people believe your emotional intelligence—that is, your ability to relate and interact with others—is just as important for your overall brain health.

It's important to realize we all have unique brains that shouldn't be judged by one set of standards. Even folks who are mentally retarded as judged by IQ can have (or cause others to have) remarkable insights.

YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Emotional Intelligence

What can we learn from people who made us feel happy or sad?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
Take a moment to think back to those people you knew who were joyful, even if simply for short perio...
How can I help develop my family's emotional intelligence through poetry?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Give yourself and your family permission to have a family poetry slam. Ask everyone in your fami...
Can a Fake Smile Make Me Happy?
Can a Fake Smile Make Me Happy?
How Can a Hug Boost My Happiness?
How Can a Hug Boost My Happiness?