Why should I figure out the emotional issues related to my weight problem?

There are as many meanings to what the food and carrying extra weight (or not enough weight) have as there are kinds of food. We like to oversimplify this -- saying that people carry extra weight to avoid intimacy, keep people at a distance, or eat to numb feelings. That may be true -- or it may not. Don't force these quick armchair interpretations; figure out your own story.
Food, diet, weight, exercise -- all of it is a mind game. No trainer yelling at you to do more reps will address this. No dietitian talking to you about 4-ounce portions of protein will address this. Understanding healthy diet and integrating exercise are important building blocks, but getting at the story of food, the story of weight -- that is the real workout.
Once you let the cookies out of the closet -- they lose their power. Try it.
The worst thing that will happen is that you may understand yourself a little better.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Emotional Health

How well you handle stress, anger, relationships, work, family life-it all factors into your emotional health. Finding balance in life-as well as peace of mind-helps us cope with life's ups and downs. Take time to explore new ways ...

to find stress relief, and to release anxiety, and unhappiness. Counseling can help-as can a gratitude journal.