What is penis envy?

Sigmund Freud coined the term "penis envy" to describe the displeasure that little girls experience when they realize they do not have a penis. It also describes how these girls to take actions over the course of their lives to compensate for lacking a penis.

To the delight of many feminists, a good many psychologists downplay this idea, or dismiss it entirely. They say it is entirely possible for women to be motivated on their own power, without having to compensate for a lack of male parts.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

You Gotta Have Hope
You Gotta Have Hope
Are you a hopeful person? If not, here's a great way to put the stars back in your eyes: Make a New Year's resolution. (It's not too late!) A psychol...
What types of relationships can help my child feel safe?
ChildhelpChildhelp
There are several types of relationships that can help make a child feel safe and improve a child's ...
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
About 42.6 million US adults over age 45 report chronic loneliness, but younger people may also be at risk.
What Can I Do to Promote Feelings of Zen?