What is Affluenza?

Paul  Hokemeyer, PhD
Marriage & Family Therapy

Affluenza is a condition that has been described as a negative response to hyperconsumption. People who have it are reported to suffer from emotional stress, feelings of alienation from the world around them and a lack of meaning in their lives. It is found in people who define themselves by the material possessions they can buy. Since material possessions can never take the place of emotional fulfillment, people who focus on consumption are left feeling empty, incomplete and alone.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Is Talking to Yourself Healthy?
Is Talking to Yourself Healthy?
If you find yourself chattering out loud, you’re not alone. This is a fairly common practice known as external self-talk. It’s possible people talk to...
How can I express my true feelings without feeling badly?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
To express your true feelings without guilt and shame, you should not:Automatically say yes because ...
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
About 42.6 million US adults over age 45 report chronic loneliness, but younger people may also be at risk.
Why You Should Say No More
Why You Should Say No More