What can I eat to achieve emotional balance?

Drew Ramsey, MD
Neurology
Food is imperative when it comes to achieving emotional balance, as it's difficult to have good mental heath without the right nutrients. In this video, psychiatrist Drew Ramsey, MD, explains why seafood, leafy greens and nuts are good brain foods.
John Douillard, DC
Herbal Medicine
From an Ayurvedic perspective, emotional balance can be achieved through eating three (not six) nutritious meals a day, without snacks.  Also making sure you are getting plenty of healthy fats such as high-quality ghee and coconut oil, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, found in fish oil, walnuts, flax seeds and flax seed oil, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and purslane, can powerfully support mood.  Fat is our body’s preferred long-lasting energy source, and eating three meals a day supported by ample healthy fat and fiber can help to stabilize the body’s blood sugar and neutralize cravings for sugary foods, keeping the mood calm and stable.

Also According to Ayurveda it is important to have all six tastes included in each meal The word for taste in Ayurveda is "rasa" which is the same word for "emotion." Eating each of the six tastes -- sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter and astringent -- with each meal is a classic way to balance meals and the emotions.
To achieve emotional balance, improve your nutritional balance. That means including fats, carbohydrates and proteins in your daily diet, along with other beneficial nutrients. And be sure to drink enough fluids.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

The Sound of Music Therapy
The Sound of Music Therapy
If you ever wondered whether the sound of music could help protect your health, consider the life of Maria von Trappe—“Louisa” in The Sound of Music. ...
Should I consult my doctor about my emotional health?
You can be proactive about your emotional health. Emotional health and wellness questionnaires are a...
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
About 42.6 million US adults over age 45 report chronic loneliness, but younger people may also be at risk.
What Are the Health Benefits of Calming Myself Down When I'm Anxious?