What are some symptoms of alexithymia?

Alexithymia literally means a lack of words for feelings. Some symptoms or characteristics of alexithymia are:

- difficulty identifying different types of feelings
- difficulty distinguishing between emotional feelings and bodily feelings
- limited understanding of what caused the feelings
- difficulty verbalizing feelings
- limited imagination
- functional, constricted style of thinking
- physical complaints
- lack of enjoyment and pleasure-seeking
- stiffened posture and/or facial expressions.

Alexithymia has a strong involvement in mental illness and personality development - but it's not something to be afraid of. If you experience alexithymia, or know someone who does, there are ways to learn how to strengthen skills through psychotherapy.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

The Sound of Music Therapy
The Sound of Music Therapy
If you ever wondered whether the sound of music could help protect your health, consider the life of Maria von Trappe—“Louisa” in The Sound of Music. ...
How does our emotional health affect our physical health?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
Your emotional (mind) health can affect your physical (body) health. Different things influence what...
What happens if I deny my feelings?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
Our psyche and souls demand honesty at a deep level. This means that we have to feel whatever is the...
What Can Men Do to Feel Happier, Less Stressed Out and Less Anxious?