Should I talk about my feelings with my partner with bipolar disorder?

Ms. Julie A. Fast
Mental Health
You may want to talk with your partner with bipolar disorder about all of your emotions. But please be careful. You don't want to burden your partner with all of these feelings at once. Hopefully, you will be able to work together on this in the future, but there are some things that your partner really doesn't need to know if they are currently ill.

Learn to use your judgment in this situation. Turn to others, including a therapist, if you feel the need to talk about your feelings. When you do talk with your partner about these emotions, you may be surprised to find that their emotions are quite different from your own. Theirs may include self-pity, shame, or embarrassment. It's also important that you both learn which of your partner's emotions are symptoms of bipolar disorder and which emotions are a response to having the illness. This is something you can do together in the future. For now, focus on your life and be honest, at least to yourself, about how you really feel.
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner (The New Harbinger Loving Someone Series)

Maintaining a relationship is hard enough without the added challenges of your partner’s bipolar disorder symptoms. Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder offers information and step-by-step advice...

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Loneliness May Be Your Undiagnosed Cause of Poor Health
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, a novel by Carson McCullers, is about an isolated deaf man who strives to build friendships with four acquaintances. Eac...
When does a quirky trait, habit, or fear become an emotional disorder?
The world is filled with all kinds of eccentric personalities-the laid-back surfer, the cerebral art...
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
About 42.6 million US adults over age 45 report chronic loneliness, but younger people may also be at risk.
Are Happy People Healthier?
Are Happy People Healthier?