How should I talk to my doctor about my emotional problems?

Your family doctor should be well versed in treating emotional and mental health problems. He or she should be able to refer you to the appropriate resources in your community, if needed. You should be able to comfortably discuss your physical health as well as your emotional health with your personal doctor.
Sheri D. Pruitt
Everyone feels sad or anxious at one time or another. But what do you do when those feelings start getting the best of you? You may feel awkward when talking with your doctor, but emotional problems are just as serious and treatable as physical problems. To make it easier, talk with your doctor about your emotional symptoms just as you would about physical symptoms. Tell your doctor when the symptoms started, how often they occur, and how the symptoms are impacting your daily life. Make sure you discuss and understand your treatment options. This might mean psychotherapy, medication, or a follow-up visit. This strategy will make the conversation easier, but the most important action you can take is to follow through with treatment. If left untreated, emotional symptoms can get much worse.
Living SMART: Five Essential Skills to Change Your Health Habits Forever

The myriad of books and programs that encourage people to stop smoking, get organized, spend less, or exercise more tend to focus on what or why to change, but rarely explain how to change. Living...

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Press "Play" for a Better Mood
Press "Play" for a Better Mood
Want to feel less stressed? Happier? More energetic? Spend more time with your stereo. A small study suggests that music typically affects people's e...
What medications treat emotional health-related conditions?
Antidepressants, antipsychotics and anti anxiety medications have been used to treat emotional and m...
8 Signs of Emotional Balance and Well-Being
8 Signs of Emotional Balance and Well-Being8 Signs of Emotional Balance and Well-Being8 Signs of Emotional Balance and Well-Being8 Signs of Emotional Balance and Well-Being
Try these simple skills to give your well-being a boost.
Is It Possible to Die of a Broken Heart?