How do I maintain emotional health?

Here are some habits of the emotional and spiritual type worth pursuing:
  • Practice more forgiveness and acceptance.
  • Worry less.
  • Feel -- and show -- more gratitude.
  • Take a step back to think before you act.
  • Cultivate a rich, meaningful social network.
  • Help others by volunteering, mentoring and offering emotional support.

Maintain your emotional health by reducing stress. You should seek to become more aware of your emotions, the environmental factors that cause them, and your ability to influence them. Take an emotional or mental health assessment and see what areas you might want to improve. Focus on improving your overall health as well. Be sure to eat right, exercise, and get enough sleep. Your interactions with others can greatly affect your emotions, so surround yourself with a strong support network. Learn to say "no" when you need to. Finally, do not be afraid to reach out during stressful times to friends, family, physicians, and community services.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Press "Play" for a Better Mood
Press "Play" for a Better Mood
Want to feel less stressed? Happier? More energetic? Spend more time with your stereo. A small study suggests that music typically affects people's e...
What are the components of emotional health?
Emotional health is comprised of emotional intelligence and emotional regulation. Emotional intellig...
How can I find inner control?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Being still allows you to calm down your left brain activity and activate the right brain to become ...
How Can Technology Affect My Mood?
How Can Technology Affect My Mood?