How can I express my true feelings without feeling badly?

Karen R Koenig

To express your true feelings without guilt and shame, you should not:

• Automatically say yes because you think it’s expected or you’ll feel guilty saying no.
  • Be afraid of speaking your mind appropriately.
  • Let guilt or fear of experiencing it dictate what you choose to do or not do.
  • Lie to yourself or you’ll end up not knowing what you really feel.
  • Think that people can’t tolerate or get over hurt feelings, because they can.
  • Avoid conflict because it makes you or someone else uncomfortable.
  • Allow others to mistreat you without speaking up about how it feels.
  • Silently tolerate ongoing physical, sexual, or verbal abuse - ever.
  • Stew in silence, deny your feelings, or let them build until you’re ready to explode.
  • Act passive-aggressively (let negative feelings out in a vague, indirect way that you don’t have to be accountable for) because it’s easier than being direct.
  • Let people decide for you what’s okay and not okay for you to say.
  • Assume that people know how you feel if you don’t tell them.
  • Allow yourself to become a scapegoat or whipping girl without protesting immediately.
  • Assume that other people can’t handle your authentic feelings.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

6 Ways to Spring Clean Your Mind
6 Ways to Spring Clean Your Mind
Springtime often inspires us to declutter our homes and yards -- and exposes the cobwebs and dust bunnies that have been collecting during the winter ...
What increases my risk for emotional-health-related problems?
A family history of emotional disturbance or poor emotional health may increase your risk. Brain dis...
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
About 42.6 million US adults over age 45 report chronic loneliness, but younger people may also be at risk.
Can I Learn How to Be Happy?
Can I Learn How to Be Happy?