How can I boost my self-esteem as I age?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
By shifting your focus away from your perceived flaws to your attributes, you can boost your self-esteem and establish your own standards for attractiveness. Think back on what it was that made you attractive in your younger years. Was it your soulful brown eyes, your crooked smile, or maybe your infectious laugh? Chances are, those qualities are still as appealing as ever.

Also, try directing your attention to the experience of giving and receiving pleasure during sex. This can help you find the confidence to give yourself over to the experience. Great sex is often the outgrowth of a deep emotional connection -- something that's not guaranteed by having a perfect body.

For people who are overweight, exercise can help foster weight loss, as well as provide a mental and physical boost. Even if you lose only a small amount of weight, being active can tone your body, which can improve your body image and, in turn, your sexual interest and response.

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

The Sound of Music Therapy
The Sound of Music Therapy
If you ever wondered whether the sound of music could help protect your health, consider the life of Maria von Trappe—“Louisa” in The Sound of Music. ...
How can technology affect my mood?
Dr. John Douillard, DCDr. John Douillard, DC
There is a multi-faceted link between technology and our mood. On the one hand, modern technology ha...
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
About 42.6 million US adults over age 45 report chronic loneliness, but younger people may also be at risk.
How Does Stress and Anxiety Affect the Brain?