What happens if I deny my feelings?

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine

Our psyche and souls demand honesty at a deep level. This means that we have to feel whatever is there. If we do not feel a feeling, several things happen. First, you get stuck in that feeling until you do feel it. Because of this, instead of being conscious of your anger for an hour, you may find yourself unconsciously angry for decades. This anger can build up in big pools just waiting to be triggered. In addition, your psyche magnifies the feeling that you are denying to make it bigger and clearer to you. In trying to avoid your anger, sadness, and other feelings, you simply condemn yourself to being stuck in them.

Three Steps to Happiness! Healing Through Joy

Happiness is our natural state of being. It is who we are. This happiness is obvious when you look at little children before they take on society’s beliefs. Their natural state is to feel all of...

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Loneliness May Be Your Undiagnosed Cause of Poor Health
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, a novel by Carson McCullers, is about an isolated deaf man who strives to build friendships with four acquaintances. Eac...
How can my unconscious mind's protection hurt me?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Ironically, though, the unconscious mind’s principal emotional or psychological survival strategy ca...
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
Loneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking FactsLoneliness May Be Deadlier Than Obesity—And Other Shocking Facts
About 42.6 million US adults over age 45 report chronic loneliness, but younger people may also be at risk.
What Is the Relationship Between Stress and Weight Gain?