How can I become aware of my unconscious nature?

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine

Although there are many tools for becoming conscious of parts of your self that are unconscious, I have two tools that are my favorites. The first is what I call the “pointing finger.” The Chinese have an old expression: “When I am pointing at you with one finger, I’m pointing at myself with three fingers.” Try it and you will see that it is so. When you point to somebody with your index finger, your third, fourth, and fifth finger are pointing back at you.

The pointing finger can be a powerful tool for self-exploration. Start to keep a journal of the qualities you accuse others of having. Do you frequently find others to be selfish, greedy, vain, etc.? If so, the qualities you see and dislike most often in others probably reflect part of your unconscious nature. In the beginning, you may think this to be impossible because we overemphasize the opposite of these characteristics in ourselves to help them stay unconscious. Nonetheless, you will find both qualities to be present, and in time you will be happy that they are. Until then, try to keep your sense of humor and not take yourself too seriously when you begin this exercise.

Although not everything that annoys us necessarily reflects who we are (or has to be taken on now), many of them do

Three Steps to Happiness! Healing Through Joy

Happiness is our natural state of being. It is who we are. This happiness is obvious when you look at little children before they take on society’s beliefs. Their natural state is to feel all of...

Continue Learning about Emotional Health

Egotism Vs. Ego Strength
Egotism Vs. Ego Strength
When George Harrison wrote I me mine in 1969, he was commenting on the oversized egos of Lennon and McCartney, which ended up pulling the band apart l...
What does loneliness actually mean?
Georgianna Donadio, PhD,MS,DCGeorgianna Donadio, PhD,MS,DC
The term, according to the on-line Free Dictionary is as follows: lone·ly (lnl)adj. lone·li·er, lo...
How can the generational cycle of blame be broken?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
Unconditionally loving and accepting yourself without blame or fault can break what has often been (...
Share Your Secrets to Boost Your Health
Share Your Secrets to Boost Your Health