Why is food a powerful reward?

Sheri D. Pruitt
Food has the potential to be a powerful physiologic and psychological reward -- it's a reinforcer that satisfies both our bodies and our minds. As an example, think about eating ice cream, which has a built-in reward system for most people. You purchase the ice cream and put some in your mouth. It's cool, refreshing, sweet, and creamy. Your taste buds come alive, and your visual, olfactory, and gustatory senses are stimulated. You smile. You're happy. Thus your ice cream eating behavior has been rewarded. What happens next? You take another bite, and another, and every bite you take gives you both physiologic and psychological rewards.
Living SMART: Five Essential Skills to Change Your Health Habits Forever

The myriad of books and programs that encourage people to stop smoking, get organized, spend less, or exercise more tend to focus on what or why to change, but rarely explain how to change. Living...

Continue Learning about Emotional Eating

How to Overcome Emotional Eating
How to Overcome Emotional Eating
If you reach for the ice cream scoop every time things get tough, you're not alone. According to the American Psychological Association, 38 percent of...
How can food help me control my emotions?
Frances Largeman-Roth, RDFrances Largeman-Roth, RD
The foods you eat can have a big impact on your emotions and your mood. In this video, registered di...
How can I avoid emotional eating if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
If you have recently eaten and find yourself craving food, do a quick emotional check. Do you want f...
How Can I Tell If I Am an Emotional Eater?