How can I lose weight if I'm an emotional eater?

Craig B. Primack, MD
General Practice

The secret to overcoming emotional eating is finding other ways to cope with the emotions that you are experiencing. Using food for these emotions does work but the effect is short-lived and usually results in weight gain. 

A psychologist who specializes in emotional eating therapy is a great place to start to identifying things to work on in your life to better deal with your emotional eating. 

If your dieting downfall is emotional eating, one great answer is to find healthy snacks with ingredients that make you feel calm. In this video, Cleveland Clinic dietitian and Dr. Oz Show guest Kristin Kirkpatrick tells Dr. Oz about a sandwich spread and dip that can get your brain on your side and help you drop pounds.

Continue Learning about Emotional Eating

Emotional Eating

Emotional Eating

It's easy to go for that bag of chips when we're stressed and not think much of it. But emotional eating is serious detriment to weight loss as well as your overall health and well-being. People tend to binge eat the most when the...

y're lonely or stressed. This can set the stage for eating disorders and food addiction because we start treating food like medicine. Luckily, there's help for emotional eaters, in the form of community support, stress management techniques and in some cases, therapy.