How do I know if I have an emotional relationship with food?

Laura Katleman-Prue
When you have an emotional relationship with a food, you crave it and feel giddy and excited around it. You may feel a frenzied compulsion to eat it not five minutes from now, but right now! You look forward to eating it and often eat past satiety because you enjoy the taste. You turn to it when you're looking for comfort, a treat, or an escape from uncomfortable feelings. Rarely able to eat just one bite, you feel impotent and weak-willed around it. Stressful thoughts about your relationship to this food undermine your self-esteem and cause even more destruction by triggering your conditioned pattern of eating it when you're upset.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Emotional Eating

Take Time to Curb Emotional Eating
Take Time to Curb Emotional Eating
If stress plays a big role in food decisions like: When (too often), where (in front of the TV) and what (sweet, crunchy, sweet again!) you eat, we ha...
How can I deal with emotional triggers of eating unhealthy carbs?
Two of the most common triggers of eating unhealthy carbs are loneliness and stress. Unhealthy c...
What should I do when I’m stressed and crave sugary and salty junk food?
Dan Munford MS CSSD EP-C CSCS CPT RDNDan Munford MS CSSD EP-C CSCS CPT RDN
Before answering the question, it's important to talk about stress. Stress is a response triggered b...
What Is Emotional Eating?
What Is Emotional Eating?