How can emotional eating cause low self-esteem?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Emotional eating or eating to feel better actually adds to the problem of low self-esteem by causing you to feel less attractive and worse about yourself. It's a vicious circle: Eating the cookies brings a fleeting, nice taste in your mouth and momentary relief from a negative feeling, but then you berate yourself for not having any willpower and not losing weight.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...
Vandana  R. Sheth

Emotional eating is typically a coping mechanism in response to emotions. When we eat to "fill a void" created by emotions rather than actual physical hunger--we often don't deal with the real situation. Overeating is common due to emotional eating. This can lead to a feeling of failure, depression, and low self-esteem. It is critical to identify triggers that lead to emotional eating and learn to cope with them in a more constructive manner. A registered dietitian can help you with this process.

Continue Learning about Emotional Eating

How to Overcome Emotional Eating
How to Overcome Emotional Eating
If you reach for the ice cream scoop every time things get tough, you're not alone. According to the American Psychological Association, 38 percent of...
Are you eating your feelings?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
Many people have difficulty expressing their emotions, and they may turn to food as a way to cope wi...
How do brain chemicals affect emotional eating?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
When it comes to emotional eating brain chemicals are highly influential. A major chemical involved ...
Why Do I Crave Carbs When I'm Stressed?
Why Do I Crave Carbs When I'm Stressed?