How can emotional eating affect my relationship with myself and others?

Laura Katleman-Prue
From an early age, many of us created emotional connections with sweet, salty, or fatty foods, using them to medicate ourselves when we were afraid, angry, or sad. Now, as adults, rather than uncovering the painful beliefs that underlie those emotions and using inquiry to dissolve them, or expressing what is appropriate to others in the moment, we stuff down our feelings with food. Eating might delay and blunt our reactions, but when we stuff our feelings with food instead of dealing with them, we may end up beating ourselves up or taking out our upset on those around us in passive-aggressive ways.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Emotional Eating

How to Overcome Emotional Eating
How to Overcome Emotional Eating
If you reach for the ice cream scoop every time things get tough, you're not alone. According to the American Psychological Association, 38 percent of...
Are you eating your feelings?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
Many people have difficulty expressing their emotions, and they may turn to food as a way to cope wi...
How can my emotional state affect my eating habits?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
When it comes to stress, anxiety and depression, we are notorious for reaching for food and drink ...
Why Do I Crave Carbs When I'm Stressed?
Why Do I Crave Carbs When I'm Stressed?