How might I have developed an emotional relationship to food?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Most of us developed an emotional relationship with sugar when we were children because adults gave us sweets as rewards and treats, to show us they were feeling good about us. As a result, we associated sweet things with positive feelings, love, and approval. So when we're looking to reward ourselves for a job well done or console ourselves if we're upset or when we just want to do something nice for ourselves, many of us have long turned to sugar. Given the physical addictiveness of sugar and the powerful emotional associations we have with it, it's no wonder we have trouble controlling ourselves around it!
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Emotional Eating

How to Overcome Emotional Eating
How to Overcome Emotional Eating
If you reach for the ice cream scoop every time things get tough, you're not alone. According to the American Psychological Association, 38 percent of...
How can I deal with emotional triggers of eating unhealthy carbs?
Two of the most common triggers of eating unhealthy carbs are loneliness and stress. Unhealthy c...
What should I do when I’m stressed and crave sugary and salty junk food?
Dan Munford MS CSSD EP-C CSCS CPT RDNDan Munford MS CSSD EP-C CSCS CPT RDN
Before answering the question, it's important to talk about stress. Stress is a response triggered b...
What Time Should I Stop Eating at Night If I Want to Lose Weight?