Why should I prepare for an act of terrorism or disaster if I am a senior?

Being mentally and emotionally prepared is the best way to reduce the effects of natural disaster or terrorism. Disaster disrupts our way of life and peace of mind. It can make us feel unsafe and afraid. This may increase feelings of mistrust and prejudice. You may find you react in different ways to stressful events. You may change who you will talk to or trust, or where you travel or how you spend money. Sometimes feelings of hate towards others arise and lead to violence. This can destroy families and community life.

Although seniors have great strength from life experience, planning ahead can help decrease the risk of harm in an emergency. Planning ahead includes asking yourself the following questions:

• Do I need help to see, hear or walk?
  • Do I need to care for another person?
  • Do I take daily medication?

Being mentally and emotionally prepared includes knowing:

• what to expect
  • when help is needed
  • how to get help

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 411 on 911: How to Keep Calm When You Call
As six-year-old Cole Steffens’ father administered a modified Heimlich maneuver to his 17-month-old daughter Bailey, young Cole calmly called 911. He ...
What should I include in a disaster supply kit for my pets?
If a disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water or electricity for so...
What influences a child's long-term reaction to a disaster?
Not all children respond to disaster in the same way. Some might have more severe, longer-lasting re...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.