Why should I discuss natural disasters with my child?

Talking concretely about disasters and helping children prepare to react to one can help to make them feel safe. Children see images on TV and become aware of the possibility of danger. They’re more sophisticated than many parents think and can be trusted to learn how to navigate a disaster.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
Uh oh. The evening news is showing ominous weather maps, the salt trucks are out and long lines are forming at the supermarket. There’s a blizzard com...
How can I prepare for a disaster if I am a senior?
There are several things seniors can do to be prepared for the kinds of events that a natural disast...
What do winter storm warning terms mean?
In case of a winter storm, know what winter storm warning terms mean: Winter weather advisory: ex...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.