Who can I ask for support to help me cope after a disaster?

Experiencing a disaster can leave people feeling like life will never be the same. Asking for support may sometimes feel uncomfortable, but seeking assistance can help you better recover. Sources of assistance could include:

• a healthcare provider
  • a pastoral care counselor
  • a mental health professional
  • your employer's employee assistance plan (EAP), if they have one
  • your city health center
  • the local mental health clinic
  • local hot lines
  • mental health specialty and advocacy groups
  • mental health associations

SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters. Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Emergency Kit Essentials That Aren’t Food and Water
Not everyone is as vulnerable to wildfires as residents of California, Washington and Oregon. Earthquakes don't occur nearly as often in North Dakota ...
How can I help others cope with a disaster?
There are a number of things you can do to help others cope with disaster: Before disaster strike...
What emergency supplies should I keep in my car in case of a winter storm?
Prepare your car with emergency supplies in case a winter storm hits. Cell phone; portable charge...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.