Who can I ask for support to help me cope after a disaster?

Experiencing a disaster can leave people feeling like life will never be the same. Asking for support may sometimes feel uncomfortable, but seeking assistance can help you better recover. Sources of assistance could include:
  • a healthcare provider
  • a pastoral care counselor
  • a mental health professional
  • your employer's employee assistance plan (EAP), if they have one
  • your city health center
  • the local mental health clinic
  • local hot lines
  • mental health specialty and advocacy groups
  • mental health associations
SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters. Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor.

The presence of the CDC logo and CDC content on this page should not be construed to imply endorsement by the US Government of any commercial products or services, or to replace the advice of a medical professional. The mark “CDC” is licensed under authority of the PHS.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.