What should I teach my children to do in an emergency?

Children should be taught how to dial 911 and know how to use it appropriately, says Lynn Tadlock, RN, of Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center. In this video, she describes the appropriate situations for calling emergency services. 
Be sure to teach your children how to call for help. Even very young children can be taught how to place an emergency call for help. The most important advice is for them to stay calm and speak slowly and clearly.

To place a call to 911 and talk to the operator, children should know: how to dial 911, their full name, their full address and how to give a short description of the emergency. Have your kids practice by speaking into a telephone (make sure the telephone is off).

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness