What should I teach my children to do in an emergency?

Children should be taught how to dial 911 and know how to use it appropriately, says Lynn Tadlock, RN, of Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center. In this video, she describes the appropriate situations for calling emergency services. 
Be sure to teach your children how to call for help. Even very young children can be taught how to place an emergency call for help. The most important advice is for them to stay calm and speak slowly and clearly.

To place a call to 911 and talk to the operator, children should know: how to dial 911, their full name, their full address and how to give a short description of the emergency. Have your kids practice by speaking into a telephone (make sure the telephone is off).

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
Uh oh. The evening news is showing ominous weather maps, the salt trucks are out and long lines are forming at the supermarket. There’s a blizzard com...
As a senior, how can I cope after a disaster?
As a senior, talking about what happened during a natural disaster or act of terror and sharing your...
How can I prepare for shelter-in-place at home?
Shelter-in-place means to take immediate shelter where you are. Take the following steps to prepare ...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.