What should I take with me during an emergency evacuation if I am pregnant?

If you are pregnant and an evacuation is necessary due to a disaster, be prepared to go quickly and have your emergency supplies and other important items ready to go -- you may not have much time.

Take important documents with you. This includes the following:

• identification for you and your children, such as birth certificates, social security cards and immigration papers
  • family medical records, including prenatal records and immunization records
  • health insurance identification cards for you and anyone who depends on you for care
  • a copy of a school record for each child (to prove your child's enrollment in a specific grade)

You will also need to do the following:

• Bring funds in the form of cash, ATM/EBT cards, traveler's checks, credit cards or checkbooks.
  • Bring your cell phone and charger and the emergency check-in number for family members to call.
  • Bring keys to anything that is left behind -- your home, car, bank safe deposit box, post office box.
  • Bring prenatal vitamins and medicines with you. This includes prescription and over-the-counter medicines you may need for yourself and your family.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 411 on 911: How to Keep Calm When You Call
As six-year-old Cole Steffens’ father administered a modified Heimlich maneuver to his 17-month-old daughter Bailey, young Cole calmly called 911. He ...
What is the wind chill index?
The wind chill index is the temperature your body feels when the air temperature is combined with th...
How can I be prepared for an emergency?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Have a plan of action in case of emergency. Know who you can call if you suddenly need help. Pla...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.