What should I do if I'm ordered to evacuate due to a hurricane?

Because of the destructive power of a hurricane, you should never ignore an evacuation order. Authorities will be most likely to direct you to leave if you are in a low-lying area, or within the greatest potential path of the storm. Be aware that most shelters and some hotels do not accept pets. If a hurricane warning is issued for your area or you are directed by authorities to evacuate the area:

• Take only essential items with you. 
  • If you have time, turn off the gas, electricity, and water. 
  • Disconnect appliances to reduce the likelihood of electrical shock when power is restored. 
  • Make sure your automobile's emergency kit is ready. 
  • Follow the designated evacuation routes—others may be blocked—and expect heavy traffic.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Wildfires Keep Raging—and They Pose Major Health Risks
For people in the path of wildfires, the most immediate concerns surround protecting their property, their loved ones and their own lives. What often ...
How do I create a family disaster plan?
Planning for a disaster means knowing what to do in each possible situation. Whether you have to eva...
As a teen, when should I see a counselor after a disaster?
As a teen, you might want to see a counselor after a disaster if—after several weeks or more—you: ...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.