What should I do if I'm pregnant and staying in a shelter after a disaster?

If you are pregnant and staying in a shelter or place other than your home after a disaster, you need to do the following:

• Tell the staff at the shelter or temporary housing you are pregnant or if you think you might be pregnant.
  • Continue your prenatal care, even if it's with a different provider.
  • Tell the healthcare providers about any special needs or health problems that you have, as well as any medicines you might be taking (both over-the-counter and prescription).
  • Do not take any medicines without consultation with a healthcare provider first.
  • Tell the staff at the shelter if you have young children or elderly family members that have special needs or may require more attention.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Run, Hide, Fight: How to Protect Yourself During an Act of Mass Violence
As incidents of intentional harm increase in the US, many people are wondering how best to protect themselves in the event of a mass shooting or other...
How do I create a family communication plan to prepare for a disaster?
Because you and your family may not be together when a disaster hits, it’s important to create a com...
How can extremely cold weather affect my health?
What constitutes extreme cold and its effects can vary across different areas of the country. In reg...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.