What should I keep at home in case of an emergency?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
These are the top things to have at home for emergencies:
  • Organic plain instant oatmeal -- you only need to add hot water and you have a sustaining eating occasion (best with added nuts and cinnamon).
  • Plain coconut water -- if your water is undrinkable or you get food borne illness or throw up for any other reason -- Mother Nature's "Gatorade" will replace electrolytes and provide natural sugar and doesn't have to refrigerated.
  • Oscilliococcum: for when the first sign of the flu hits.
  • Magnesium citrate powder (I work with and recommend Peter Gillham's Natural Calm) -- because constipation, headaches, and insomnia are emergencies.
  • Candles and matches -- not just for power outages but to save energy and help create a more relaxing environment.
  • Organic frozen vegetables and fruit and nuts and seeds -- this can provide days of nutrition in a pinch.
  • A dog. Any emergency is better with a pet to help you through.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness