What is the wind chill index?

The wind chill index is the temperature your body feels when the air temperature is combined with the wind speed. It is based on the rate of heat loss from exposed skin caused by the effects of wind and cold. As the speed of the wind increases, it can carry heat away from your body much more quickly, causing skin temperature to drop. When there are high winds, serious weather-related health problems are more likely, even when temperatures are only cool.

Wind chill is similar to heat index in that it combines both temperature and wind speed to determine a “real feel” of the temperature. It represents how much heat would be lost from the body. For example, if the temperature is 25°F and the wind speed is 10 mph, the real feel is 15°F. This means that in a temperature of 25°F and a wind speed of 10 mph, the body would lose heat at a rate as if it were actually 15°F without wind.

This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
Tropical storms and hurricanes bring heavy rain and winds that can create damage, as well as block roads and knock out power. People with certain heal...
What supplies should I keep at home in case of a winter storm?
In case of a winter storm, have a week's worth of food and safety supplies. If you live far from oth...
What should I do if I'm ordered to evacuate due to a hurricane?
Because of the destructive power of a hurricane, you should never ignore an evacuation order. Author...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.