What influences a child's reaction to a disaster?

Children base their reactions in part on what they see from the adults around them. When parents and caregivers deal with a disaster calmly and confidently, they can provide the best support for their children. The better prepared parents are, the more reassuring they are to others around them, especially children.

Self care and preparation are critical for parents and caregivers. The more prepared, rested and relaxed they are, the better they can respond to unexpected events and the more they can make decisions that will be in the best interest of those for whom they are responsible.

Children's reactions depend on their age and are affected by how close they are to an event, their level of exposure to it through TV and social media and how they see their parents and caregivers reacting.

Seeing repeated images of a disaster in the media can intensify people's distress. Early on, consider limiting the amount of exposure you want for yourself and your loved ones.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Wildfires Keep Raging—and They Pose Major Health Risks
For people in the path of wildfires, the most immediate concerns surround protecting their property, their loved ones and their own lives. What often ...
How can I store emergency food for a disaster?
If a natural or man-made disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water a...
What should I take with me during an emergency evacuation if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant and an evacuation is necessary due to a disaster, be prepared to go quickly and ...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.