What are the health effects of a nuclear accident?

There is no question that large amounts of radiation over time can increase one's risk of cancer. Acute release of radiation can cause radiation sickness, which affects the most rapidly dividing cells in the body -- the gut, hair, the thyroid, the blood system, the reproductive system and the heart. The most vulnerable are infants, young children, young adults, pregnant women, and the elderly.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
Uh oh. The evening news is showing ominous weather maps, the salt trucks are out and long lines are forming at the supermarket. There’s a blizzard com...
As a teen, when should I see a counselor after a disaster?
As a teen, you might want to see a counselor after a disaster if—after several weeks or more—you: ...
What should I include in a disaster supply kit for my pets?
If a disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water or electricity for so...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.