What can I do to recover after a disaster if I am pregnant?

The effects of a disaster can range from minor to devastating. Before, during or after the event people might be forced to leave their homes. It can be a scary and stressful time, especially for pregnant women. A person's response to a traumatic event may vary. Women, who are often the caretakers of the family, are at risk for depression, due to grief over lost family members, friends and material possessions. Pregnant women are even more vulnerable.

Women are encouraged to seek mental health services and access other services set up to help them through agencies such as Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA), the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), the American Red Cross and March of Dimes. Local organizations, including churches and shelters, can often help provide basic needs such as shelter, food, water and diapers. Pregnant women are urged to talk with a healthcare provider, if available, about any pregnancy questions or concerns.

Women who need additional information about the effects of exposures related to a disaster on pregnancy or breastfeeding can call the Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS) at 1-866-626-OTIS or 1-866-626-6847.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Emergency Kit Essentials That Aren’t Food and Water
Not everyone is as vulnerable to wildfires as residents of California, Washington and Oregon. Earthquakes don't occur nearly as often in North Dakota ...
How can I sanitize containers to store water for a disaster?
To sanitize containers for water storage in the event of a disaster: Wash containers with dishwas...
How can my children help prepare a disaster supply kit?
Involving children when preparing a disaster supply kit is the first step in helping them know what ...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.