What should I do to prepare my family for an emergency?

The best time to prepare for an emergency is before one happens. Make sure your family is familiar with emergency phone numbers and your children know how to place a call for help.

During an emergency, it’s easy to become disoriented and upset, so having a list of important phone numbers readily available ahead of time may keep the whole family prepared.

Write each phone number clearly so that it will be easy for children to read. Make copies of the completed list and place it near every telephone in the house, on the refrigerator, in your cell phone and in the car.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
Tropical storms and hurricanes bring heavy rain and winds that can create damage, as well as block roads and knock out power. People with certain heal...
Why should I prepare a disaster plan with my neighbors?
A survey showed that 53% of Americans receive disaster preparedness information by talking with neig...
How can I make sure I have enough water in case of a winter storm?
Keep a water supply. Extreme cold can cause water pipes in your home to freeze and sometimes break. ...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.