What should I include in a disaster supply kit for my pets?

If a disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water or electricity for some time. You should have emergency kits ready for your pets. Here’s what you’ll need for a pet emergency supply kit:

• Food and water for at least three days for each pet; bowls and a manual can opener.
  • Depending on the pet, you may need a litter box, paper towels, plastic trash bags, grooming items and/or household bleach.
  • Medicines and medical records stored in a waterproof container.
  • First aid kit with a pet first aid book.
  • Sturdy leash, harness and carrier to transport pet safely. A carrier should be large enough for the animal to stand comfortably, turn around and lie down. Your pet may have to stay in the carrier for several hours.
  • Pet toys and the pet's bed, if you can easily take it, to reduce stress.
  • Current photos and descriptions of your pets. This will help others identify them in case you and your pets become separated; it will also provide proof that they are yours.
  • Information on feeding schedules, medical conditions, behavior problems, and the name and telephone number of your veterinarian in case you have to board your pets or place them in foster care.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 411 on 911: How to Keep Calm When You Call
As six-year-old Cole Steffens’ father administered a modified Heimlich maneuver to his 17-month-old daughter Bailey, young Cole calmly called 911. He ...
What influences a child's reaction to a disaster?
Children base their reactions in part on what they see from the adults around them. When parents and...
As a teen, when should I see a counselor after a disaster?
As a teen, you might want to see a counselor after a disaster if—after several weeks or more—you: ...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.