If I'm supervising athletes by myself, how should I plan for emergencies?

Since there are many steps to an emergency action plan, it can be very difficult to go about it single-handed. That's why it's very important to educate the athletes on what to do in the case of an emergency.

Since you'll be the one caring for the athlete during an emergency and may be unable to get to a phone, you need to teach the athletes what to say while they talk to the 911 operator. This includes telling EMS proper directions to your location, describing the emergency, and how they can get an ambulance to the facility.

If athletes are well educated, emergency situations will be handled correctly, which may even save an athlete’s life.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 411 on 911: How to Keep Calm When You Call
As six-year-old Cole Steffens’ father administered a modified Heimlich maneuver to his 17-month-old daughter Bailey, young Cole calmly called 911. He ...
How can I sanitize containers to store water for a disaster?
To sanitize containers for water storage in the event of a disaster: Wash containers with dishwas...
What should I include in a disaster supply kit?
Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MDDr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
Disaster supply kits should include: water (3 gallon per person) canned and non-perishable foods...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.