If I'm supervising athletes by myself, how should I plan for emergencies?

Since there are many steps to an emergency action plan, it can be very difficult to go about it single-handed. That's why it's very important to educate the athletes on what to do in the case of an emergency.

Since you'll be the one caring for the athlete during an emergency and may be unable to get to a phone, you need to teach the athletes what to say while they talk to the 911 operator. This includes telling EMS proper directions to your location, describing the emergency, and how they can get an ambulance to the facility.

If athletes are well educated, emergency situations will be handled correctly, which may even save an athlete’s life.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness