How can I stay updated about the weather in case of a winter storm?

To maintain communication in case of a winter storm, follow these tips:

Make sure you have at least one of the following in case there is a power failure:

• Battery-powered radio (for listening to local emergency instructions). Have extra batteries.
  • National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather radio receiver (for listening to National Weather Service broadcasts).

Find out how your community warns the public about severe weather: Siren, radio, TV.

Listen to emergency broadcasts.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Prepare for the 2019 Hurricane Season with These Expert Tips
June 1st marks the start of the 2019 Atlantic hurricane season. Running through November 30th, much of the Eastern U.S. spends their summer and fall o...
How can being healthy help me during disaster recovery?
Healthy families and healthy communities are better prepared to respond to and recover from emergenc...
How can extremely cold weather affect my health?
What constitutes extreme cold and its effects can vary across different areas of the country. In reg...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.