How can I understand the difference between weather alerts?

Knowing what various weather alerts mean is crucial when it comes to protecting yourself and your family.

• A watch gives advance notice that conditions are favorable for dangerous weather. If a severe storm watch or other type of watch is issued for your area, be alert for changing weather conditions.
  • A warning requires immediate action and is only used when severe weather is about to strike.

You can find information on how to sign up for alerts in your area at http://www.ready.gov/alerts.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 411 on 911: How to Keep Calm When You Call
As six-year-old Cole Steffens’ father administered a modified Heimlich maneuver to his 17-month-old daughter Bailey, young Cole calmly called 911. He ...
How do I create a family communication plan to prepare for a disaster?
Because you and your family may not be together when a disaster hits, it’s important to create a com...
How can I prepare for a disaster if I am a senior?
There are several things seniors can do to be prepared for the kinds of events that a natural disast...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.