How can I tell when I am on my way to recovery after a disaster?

Experiencing a disaster can leave people feeling like life will never be the same. You may try lots of ways to feel better, yet still be unable to return to feeling comfortable. If things aren't going well after several weeks, you may want to seek professional help. Talk to a professional at any point in time if you feel you are having a difficult time recovering.

You will know you are on your way to recovery when:
  • your suffering has lessened
  • you are able to concentrate on work or family and do things you used to enjoy
  • you are able to resume caring for your family and complete daily tasks
  • you are engaging in reasonable and appropriate use of alcohol, prescribed medicines and cars and other vehicles
  • your appetite and sleep patterns are not of concern
  • you are able to manage your anger and avoid fights
  • you are staying well instead of getting sick
The presence of the CDC logo and CDC content on this page should not be construed to imply endorsement by the US Government of any commercial products or services, or to replace the advice of a medical professional. The mark “CDC” is licensed under authority of the PHS.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness