How can I store an emergency supply of water for a disaster?

In an emergency, having a supply of clean water for drinking, cooking and hygiene is a top priority. If a natural or man-made disaster strikes your community, you might temporarily lose access to clean water. Take steps now to store emergency water supplies and to reduce the impact of a disaster on you and your family.

• Store at least one gallon of water per person per day for a minimum three-day supply. This means a family of four needs 12 gallons.
  • Be sure to account for pets. Dogs and cats typically need one gallon each per day.
  • Store water in a cool, dark place in your home, office or car.
  • Replace water every six months and be sure to check expiration dates on store-bought water.
  • If you use your own containers for storing water, make sure to sanitize them first.

Tip: Learn where the water intake valve to your home is. If you hear reports of broken water or sewage lines, you’ll need to shut off water to your house to avoid letting contaminated water enter your home. Listen to local warnings for more instructions.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

The 2019 Pacific Hurricane Season Could Be Bad—Prepare With These Expert Tips
Mention September 11 to most Hawaii residents, and the date will conjure a national tragedy. But to some, particularly on Kauai, that day is also set ...
What should families do in a medical emergency?
Brandon Regional HospitalBrandon Regional Hospital
The first thing families should do in an emergency is dial 911 and follow the responder's directions...
How will I know when I need to shelter-in-place?
Fire or police department warning procedures for shelter-in-place could include: "All-Call" telep...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.