How can I store emergency food for a disaster?

If a natural or man-made disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water and electricity for some time. It’s important to take steps to store food so that you will be prepared if something happens. Here are some tips to get ready:

• Store foods that you eat regularly. Foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking are best.
  • Store enough food for two weeks. It is better to have extra food you can share than to run out.
  • Individuals with special diets and allergies will need particular attention; this includes babies and the elderly. Nursing mothers may need liquid formula in case they are unable to breastfeed.
  • Canned dietetic foods, juices and soups may be helpful for those with special needs.
  • Make sure you have a manual can opener and disposable utensils.
  • Should disaster strike, keep food in a dry, cool spot that is out of the sun, if possible.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Hurricane or Tropical Storm
Tropical storms and hurricanes bring heavy rain and winds that can create damage, as well as block roads and knock out power. People with certain heal...
How often should I replace emergency food supplies stored for a disaster?
While it's important to store a supply of food for emergencies, you will also need to replace your s...
What should I take with me during an emergency evacuation if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant and an evacuation is necessary due to a disaster, be prepared to go quickly and ...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.