How should I prepare for a hurricane?

If you are under a hurricane watch or warning, here are some basic steps to take to prepare for the storm:

• Learn about your community's emergency plans, warning signals, evacuation routes, and locations of emergency shelters. 
  • Identify potential home hazards and know how to secure or protect them before the hurricane strikes. Be prepared to turn off electrical power when there is standing water, fallen power lines, or before you evacuate. Turn off gas and water supplies before you evacuate. Secure structurally unstable building materials. 
  • Buy a fire extinguisher and make sure your family knows where to find it and how to use it. 
  • Locate and secure your important papers, such as insurance policies, wills, licenses, stocks, etc. 
  • Post emergency phone numbers at every phone. 
  • Inform local authorities about any special needs, i.e., elderly or bedridden people, or anyone with a disability. 
  • Make plans to ensure your pets’ safety.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Run, Hide, Fight: How to Protect Yourself During an Act of Mass Violence
As incidents of intentional harm increase in the US, many people are wondering how best to protect themselves in the event of a mass shooting or other...
How can I prepare an emergency plan for a disaster if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant, it is important that you create an emergency plan to help you in the event of a...
How can I prepare my family for a disaster?
Mrs. LeAnne Lovett-FloomMrs. LeAnne Lovett-Floom
You can prepare your family for an emergency in several ways.  Have a plan--augmented for a varie...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.