How do schools prepare children for natural disasters?

Schools spend a great amount of time and energy devising emergency plans to help keep children safe during a natural disaster. Most schools have a designated offsite location where students can go following an evacuation and may have a telephone hotline for parents to get the most up-to-date news. Some schools ask that parents provide emergency supplies -- including food -- for their child. Pay close attention to the school’s emergency policies.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Hurricane Sally Expected to Make Landfall Along Gulf Coast
Hurricane Sally is expected to become a Category 2 storm, making its way towards the coasts of Louisiana and Mississippi. The hurricane is expected to...
Why should I prepare a disaster plan with my neighbors?
A survey showed that 53% of Americans receive disaster preparedness information by talking with neig...
How can I keep my home safe during winter?
Dr. Jeanne D. Johnson, MDDr. Jeanne D. Johnson, MD
Prepare your home for ice, snow and other winter conditions now by: insulating walls and attics, ...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.