How can I sanitize containers to store water for a disaster?

To sanitize containers for water storage in the event of a disaster:

• Wash containers with dishwashing soap and rinse with water.
  • Sanitize by swishing a solution of one teaspoon of liquid household chlorine bleach to a quart of water on all interior surfaces of the container.
  • Rinse thoroughly with clean water before use.

Avoid re-using the following:

• Containers that have ever held a toxic substance
  • Containers that can break, such as glass
  • Containers without a tight seal
  • Plastic milk bottles or cartons that can be difficult to clean and can break down over time.

Use of food-grade water storage containers, such as those found at surplus or camping supply stores, is recommended if you prepare stored water yourself.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Stop the Bleed, Pack a Wound and More: How to Help After an Act of Violence
Any injury or laceration that causes severe bleeding puts a victim’s life in imminent danger. Uncontrolled bleeding is the number one cause of prevent...
What should I include in a disaster supply kit for my pets?
If a disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water or electricity for so...
How can I store an emergency supply of water for a disaster?
In an emergency, having a supply of clean water for drinking, cooking and hygiene is a top priority....
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.