How can I protect myself from the effects of a nuclear accident?

One of the measures recommended to protect oneself from radiation's negative effects is the use of potassium iodide. This will protect one from thyroid cancer, when taken quickly after exposure. This is most likely to benefit those who are in the immediate and surrounding areas of the nuclear event. The further away from the exposure the lower one's risk, and therefore the "cost benefit ratio" shifts against using the potassium iodide. Excessive doses of potassium iodide can cause severe illness, and people who are allergic to iodine should not take it. People with some skin conditions can be harmed by it, and should consult their doctors regarding the safety of use. Check out the FDA website (under emergency preparedness) for more information.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Hurricane Sally Expected to Make Landfall Along Gulf Coast
Hurricane Sally is expected to become a Category 2 storm, making its way towards the coasts of Louisiana and Mississippi. The hurricane is expected to...
What supplies should I keep at home in case of a winter storm?
In case of a winter storm, have a week's worth of food and safety supplies. If you live far from oth...
Why do acts of terror have a major impact on us?
Acts of terror can have an additional impact beyond natural disasters due to the following reasons: ...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.