How should I prepare for storms and severe weather?

Advance planning for thunderstorms, lightning, tornadoes and floods requires specific safety precautions. Still, you can follow many of the same steps for all extreme weather events. You should have on hand:

• a battery-operated flashlight, a battery-operated NOAA weather radio and extra batteries for both
  • an emergency evacuation plan, including a map of your home and, for every type of severe weather emergency, routes to safety from each room
  • a list of important personal information, including: telephone numbers of neighbors, family and friends; insurance and property information; telephone numbers of utility companies; and medical information
  • a first aid kit including: prescription medication; hydrogen peroxide; antibiotic ointment; over-the-counter medicines such as aspirin and diarrhea medicine; and bandages and dressings for injuries
  • a three- to five-day supply of bottled water and nonperishable food
  • personal hygiene items
  • blankets or sleeping bags
  • an emergency kit in your car

Prepare your family members for the possibility of severe weather. Tell them where to seek appropriate shelter as soon as they are aware of an approaching storm. Practice your emergency plan for every type of severe weather. Show family members where the emergency supplies are stored and make sure they know how to turn off the water, gas and electricity in your home.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Hurricane Sally Expected to Make Landfall Along Gulf Coast
Hurricane Sally is expected to become a Category 2 storm, making its way towards the coasts of Louisiana and Mississippi. The hurricane is expected to...
What emergency supplies should I keep in my car in case of a winter storm?
Prepare your car with emergency supplies in case a winter storm hits. Cell phone; portable charge...
What should I include in a disaster supply kit for my pets?
If a disaster strikes your community, you might not have access to food, water or electricity for so...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.