How should I prepare for a lightning storm while outdoors?

What to do before a possible lightning storm:
  • Pick campsites that meet safety precautions.
  • Know local weather patterns, especially in summertime.
  • Plan turnaround times (the amount of time you need to get back) in lightning-prone areas, based on your research, and stick to the plan.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

Emergency Kit Essentials That Aren’t Food and Water
Not everyone is as vulnerable to wildfires as residents of California, Washington and Oregon. Earthquakes don't occur nearly as often in North Dakota ...
As a teen, who can I talk to if I am not coping well after a disaster?
As a teen, asking for support to deal with the emotional effects of a disaster may feel uncomfortabl...
How can I stay updated about the weather in case of a winter storm?
To maintain communication in case of a winter storm, follow these tips: Make sure you have at least...
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
How to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter StormHow to Prepare—and Stay Safe—in a Winter Storm
A winter wonderland can be dangerous. Here’s how to keep yourself and your family safe when a blizzard strikes.