How can I prepare for a disaster if I am a senior?

There are several things seniors can do to be prepared for the kinds of events that a natural disaster or an act of terrorism might trigger. Below are some examples of how you could prepare:

• Make a plan with family or household members. Decide how to stay in touch if something goes wrong. Set up a meeting place.
  • Prepare a disaster supplies kit. Keep it in a safe, easy-to-find place.
  • Keep a spare pair of eye glasses and extra medicine handy in case you need to leave your home quickly.
  • Learn about preparedness plans in your town.
  • Know your neighbors and how to get in touch with them.
  • Keep important documents in a safe place with easy access in case you need to leave your home.
  • Review your options and decide what to do before an emergency happens.
  • Know how to get in contact with service agencies you may need, such as the Area Agencies on Aging and the American Red Cross.
  • Learn more about how stress how can affect you and how to deal with it.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness

How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
How to Prepare for a Winter Storm
Uh oh. The evening news is showing ominous weather maps, the salt trucks are out and long lines are forming at the supermarket. There’s a blizzard com...
What should I include in a disaster supply kit?
Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MDDr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
Disaster supply kits should include: water (3 gallon per person) canned and non-perishable foods...
How can my children help prepare a disaster supply kit?
Involving children when preparing a disaster supply kit is the first step in helping them know what ...
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency4 Ways to Prepare Your Pets for Hawaii’s Next Emergency
With hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, Hawaii residents need to keep furry friends ready for anything.