How can I prepare for a disaster if I am a senior?

There are several things seniors can do to be prepared for the kinds of events that a natural disaster or an act of terrorism might trigger. Below are some examples of how you could prepare:
  • Make a plan with family or household members. Decide how to stay in touch if something goes wrong. Set up a meeting place.
  • Prepare a disaster supplies kit. Keep it in a safe, easy-to-find place.
  • Keep a spare pair of eye glasses and extra medicine handy in case you need to leave your home quickly.
  • Learn about preparedness plans in your town.
  • Know your neighbors and how to get in touch with them.
  • Keep important documents in a safe place with easy access in case you need to leave your home.
  • Review your options and decide what to do before an emergency happens.
  • Know how to get in contact with service agencies you may need, such as the Area Agencies on Aging and the American Red Cross.
  • Learn more about how stress how can affect you and how to deal with it.
The presence of the CDC logo and CDC content on this page should not be construed to imply endorsement by the US Government of any commercial products or services, or to replace the advice of a medical professional. The mark “CDC” is licensed under authority of the PHS.

Continue Learning about Survival and Emergency Preparedness